Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Mackie family and their wives


... it says on the back (in ballpoint, so added much later.) From what I know so far, my great grandfather Adam had six sons and I think that is who we see here. I am assuming that is John on the left, as we know he served in the Imperial Yeomanry. That would probably date the picture as 1902. By then, everybody's ages (to within a year) would be Adam 55, Mary (his wife) 54, William 26, John 21, Albert 19, Adam junior 17, Edmund 13 and Archibald 9. I think that is Albert on John's immediate right, though at the moment I can only compare it with pictures taken when he was a lot older. (Somewhere I know we have a photo album with pictures taken in the 1920s, but it has not come to light yet.) Archibald is obviously the young lad. The one on the extreme right is clearly not a teenager, so I guess he must be William. Of the remaining two males, the one to the right of Bert looks older (he appears to be sporting a moustache) so I am guessing that he is Adam junior, leaving the other one as Edmund.
The wives are not so easy. Mary is presumably the much older lady, but who were the rest? So far I know very little about William, but it is quite possible that one of the ladies here is his wife and the young girl could be his daughter. John did not marry until 1906 and Bert until 1912 (and none of the ladies here looks at all like Ada.) At 17, Adam junior was unlikely to be married and Edmund and Archibald were well below marriageable age. As I have said, the caption on the back was added much later so I don't think the term "wives" can be taken too literally.
SEE UPDATE 19 APRIL 2011.  I THINK I HAVE MIXED UP TWO OF THE BROTHERS HERE AND I CAN NOW NAME ALL THE LADIES IN THE PICTURE.

No comments: