Tuesday, February 5, 2008

June and John's wedding












Left to right: Mr C. Ellis, Sybil, Cynthia, Leslie, a friend's girl, John, June, Velda, Florence, Gordon.  I don't know the exact date, but it is shown in the index of marriages for the October-December quarter of 1956.

Update 19 October 2009. Comparing with other photos and postcards and checking against birth and marriage records, this is what I can piece together. This is the wedding of June Saunders and John Ellis. Sybil and Velda are June's sisters. Velda is now married to John's brother Leslie. Their father is Charles Ellis. (Their mother Lily died in 1946.)  Florence (nee Precious) is the mother of Velda, June and Sybil.

Update 25 October 2009. Cynthia is Velda and Leslie's daughter. I had not made the connection straight away as all the other photos I have of Velda's children show only Keith and Gillian.
I'm still trying to track down Gordon. I had at first presumed he was Florence's husband. But she was married to William Saunders and (so far) I cannot find any evidence that she remarried. The only Gordon in the immediate family that I have traced so far is Gordon Smith, husband of Florence's sister Dorothy. But why would he be in this photo without his wife and children?

Update 24 June 2012.  I have now heard from Keith Ellis who has pointed out a false assumption on my part.  Keith and Gillian were the children of John and June.  Leslie and Velda also had another daughter Vanessa, who would have been two at the time.

No comments: