Monday, April 6, 2009

Bill Warden's vehicles


That looks like Chislehurst Common in the background. I think the picture was taken in Morley Road. I would imagine that one of the ladies is Bill's wife Connie. The lady in the sidecar looks a bit like the one in the sea in the "Bill and Connie Warden?" post.





You can't see the driver very clearly, but I'm sure it must be Bill Warden. I think the car is by the garages at the south east of Crown Lane. I remember Bill buying a car in the early 1960s and that is where he kept it.
Update - 24 May 2009. Dating the pictures.
The registration prefix KK shown on the motorcycle was used in Kent between June 1922 and April 1924. JJ on the car was used in London between November 1932 and March 1933.
On the back of the motorcycle picture is written "Licence No 422X164". This corresponds to the one-page document issued by Kent County Council. An example is pictured in the entry "Bill Warden's driving licences". The earliest I have was issued in May 1924 and the latest expired in May 1931. There is then a hiatus of seven years until May 1938, when the first booklet style licence appears.
Both the vehicles appear to be in very good condition, so I imagine they were new (or at least newly acquired) when the pictures were taken.

No comments: