Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Bermuda Onion Packers

A postcard to Bert from Bermuda. Another one from the archive that has been torn in two, but fortunately both halves survive. The postmark date looks like 21 AUG 07 (i.e. 1907) which seems about right. I had to whack up the brightness when scanning this one in, as the image was very dark. From the manuscript entries, it is apparent that the sender has been in Bermuda for some time.
Above the picture - "I don't believe I sent you this one before".
Below the picture - "This is quite a familiar sight with everyone here when the crops are fit to reap. I guess a great many crates of Bda onions find their way to England."
On the back - "Your two cards were grand thanks ever so much. I suppose I should not say so but you know I expected that you would send me a view of 'Henley Regatta'. I read an account of it in our local papers. I am awfully glad you sent it, I did not like to ask for one. You do certainly send some lovely ones. Sincerely, E. Inglau" (I think that is what the signature is but I stand to be corrected.)
Without seeing the names, you could tell this is a card from one bloke to another. It is basically just one postcard in response to another.

No comments: