Friday, March 21, 2008

Postcard from Velda and Leslie


It is apparent from the archive that Velda kept in touch with her great Aunt Ada. After Ada died, my parents and also my uncle and aunt in Canada heard from Velda. We exchanged letters and postcards, but the fact was that different sides of the family had drifted apart and none of us really knew Velda or her family. But this postcard has survived. It is signed Velda and Leslie, which taken together with the picture of Velda's sister June's wedding, helped me work out a few more relationships. This was to my mother Eileen Mackie. She mentions the death of Jack and a letter from Celia. These are my aunt and uncle. She also mentions the death of her mother's sister's husband. But Velda's mother Florence was one of six daughters, so it is not clear who she means.
*Update 25 June 2012*.  "Mother's sister's husband" must be Jack Kettle, husband of Constance, who died on 9 January 1987.

No comments: